It may not be everyone’s favourite time of year, but the rainy season in Bangkok, roughly May to October, has its advantages. Daytime temperatures are a bit lower than during the hot season, and the rain itself often comes and goes quickly with plenty of sunshine and fair night skies between. Crowds are down from high season as well – although be assured there’s loads to do throughout the period. Here are five activities we at Novotel Bangkok Ploenchit Sukhumvit think will help you enjoy the rainy season in Bangkok.
- Take in some muay Thai kickboxing action. Bangkok’s Ratchadamnoen and Lumpini stadiums (both covered) present cards featuring the nation’s top fighters from 6 p.m.
- Thrill to wonders of the underwater world at SEA LIFE Bangkok Ocean World, Siam Paragon shopping mall. This huge aquarium is right downtown and a terrific experience for kids and adults alike. Easily reached from the hotel via BTS SkyTrain (two stops to Siam Station).
- Raining today? Not to worry – there’s always shopping! Bangkok is renowned for its outstanding shopping malls, many of which are major sightseeing attractions in their own right. Among the biggest and best are Siam Paragon, Siam Discovery, Terminal 21, CentralWorld, EmQuartier and, almost directly opposite the hotel, Central Embassy. All sites feature world-class shopping in addition to many restaurants and food courts.
- Sometimes, the rain is a good reminder it’s time to slow down, sit back and relax for a change. And what better place to wait out the rain than in a cosy café? Bangkok’s café and coffee culture has really developed the past few years, so there’s no shortage of spots, indoors or out, for sipping a cuppa and watching the rain come down and the world go by.
- One thing about enjoying a buffet at our all-day-dining venue The Square, the weather’s always perfect inside the restaurant. If it happens to be raining around Novotel Bangkok Ploenchit Sukhumvit, then take a little more time while dining to take in the view as you feast on one of The Square’s fantastic buffet promotions. As a matter of fact, here’s more information on precisely that subject: http://www.novotelbangkokploenchit.com/special-offers/.